Thursday, November 06, 2008

Purpose Driven Life - Day 3

DAY 3

Point to Ponder: Living on purpose is the path to peace.

Verse: "You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm
and put their trust in you." Isaiah 26:3 (TEV)

Question to Consider: What would my family and friends say is the driving
force of my life? What do I want it to be?


There are five common driving factors to life.

  • Guilt
  • Resentment and anger
  • Fear
  • Materialism
  • Need for approval

It was amazing reading the descriptions of the driving factors. I am driven by all of these at different times. It is so humbling to see how far from the one true God my focus has become. There was a point in the book that I wanted to share.

"Without a clear purpose, you will keep changing directions, jobs,
relationships, churches, or other externals - hoping each change will settle the
confusion or fill the emptiness in your heart. You think, Maybe this time
it will be different
, but it doesn't solve your real problem - a lack of focus
and purpose."

Man oh man is this true. I feel like I have been spinning in circles for years now. I long to be a SAHW and eventually be a mother but I am fearful about leaving the workforce and falling into depression.

What's my driving factor for this job? FEAR! But, even if I change my job, my direction, I have to have a focus for where I want my life to be. A deeply rooted focus and purpose. I have not found that yet. I get really excited while I'm reading this book, I look forward to some help with my decision making and focus.

I get a little irritated with the different translations used in the book. I would prefer all KJV references, however, it has been fun figuring out which verse is being referred to and seeing if I can quote the KJV verse.

1 comment:

Lady Shmoe said...

I have been a quitter all my life (excpet for when I tried to quit smoking, lol)and only truly wanted to be a SAHW. Now that I have quit my job and am at home all the time, I think of myself as a SAHW. My DH says he doesn't know how I tolerate being here all of the time. He thinks he would go crazy. I hear you when you say you have a fear of depression from leaving the work force. You will never know until you try it. I have never been happier in any choice that I have ever made, except for my choice to date and marry my husband, of course.

Kudos to you for searching through your mind and heart. It is a hard thing to do.